Joyce - 77024, Texas

Hero is No Hero Without the Sidekick

Have you ever heard of Dr. Watson? Is the name Sherlock Homes more familiar? Dr. Watson was a faithful sidekick to Sherlock Holmes. Not many remember Dr. Watson because people consider him to have been a minor character compared to Sherlock Holmes. People have the wrong impression that Dr. Watson played a trivial role. Few are aware of the significance of Dr. Watson’s role in convincing others that Sherlock Holmes is not a difficult man to know. What I admire most about Dr. Watson and other sidekicks that do good deeds that go unnoticed is their absent concern on receiving the recognition they deserve.

There were numerous occasions where I served at church with the wrong attitude. I sought for acknowledgement from others for the extra effort I had put in. When I got credit for what I did, it gave me a sense of accomplishment. When I reexamined my heart, I realized my foolishness. Now, when I see people who serve humbly in the background, I smile; I smile because they are like sidekicks.

I believe we should live our lives like the sidekicks who live life for the purpose of serving others. They do not focus on being seen but rather on being of assistance. Not getting the attention they deserve does not discourage them from continuing to help and serve faithfully.

Living life in order to be recognized is not what life is all about. It’s about helping those in need without having the intention of receiving personal-praise.

We can witness in our daily lives where it is essential for jobs to be done willingly by people. For example, in football, the quarterback is praised for many of the touchdowns. Most of the time, the quarterback cannot achieve the touchdowns on his own. His teammates need to protect him from getting tackled by listening to the quarterback’s instructions. Without other teammates, the quarterback he would not be able to manage the entire game. Even though many of the good defensive football players rarely get mentioned in games, the players know the importance of their role. They may never be praised or acknowledged, but in my opinion, life is not about everyone trying to be the hero; you do not have to be the hero in order to live a meaningful life.