Sebastiang - Houston, Texas
Themes: environment

Sebastian G

English 1, Pre AP

Ms. Ciarella

February 6, 2008

“A Greener Tomorrow”

Our petroleum supplies around the world are starting to dwindle. Our fuel prices have skyrocketed. Our economy has even been affected. Fossil fuels are running out and that is not going to change as long as gasoline powered engines are the norm. Recently, while I was jogging in a park near my house, I took a deep breath and then began to cough uncontrollably. I coughed merely because of the terrible air created by the emissions of millions of gasoline powered cars and at that moment, I had an epiphany. I realized that our environment really is on its way downhill and shows no signs of stopping. I then strenuously tried to think of a simple solution to the environmental issue and after much deliberation I miraculously thought of a solution. I thought about diesel engines and realized that they are the perfect candidate to not only ease our environment of terrible pollution, but also buy time for research to find a replacement for fossil fuels. I believe that diesel engines are the only feasible way to a greener tomorrow.

Diesel engines have always been thought of as smoke belching engines with sluggish acceleration and a constant duga-duga-duga sound. This was true about diesels, but that was twenty years ago. Now, thanks to modern technology, diesel engines are quiet, powerful, and environmentally friendly. Diesels are now engines with respectable power and monster torque. For example BMW’s high performance turbocharged three liter gasoline engine makes three-hundred horsepower and three-hundred pound feet of torque, while BMW’s three liter turbocharged diesel engine makes two-hundred sixty-five horsepower and a whopping four-hundred twenty-five pound feet of torque. No one in their right mind could consider that sluggish.

As an added bonus to the immense power, diesels are now tuned carefully to stop smoking all the time and have spectacularly low emissions ratings. With cleaner emissions diesels have a significantly lower carbon imprint than gasoline engines and our skies will be better for it. Not only do diesels have spectacularly low emissions, but they also get amazing gas mileage that will buy massive amounts of time to research and find a replacement to fossil fuels. I believe this, coupled with the low emissions is a terrific one-two punch for a greener tomorrow. The real highlight of using diesel engines is how feasible it is to transition the world from gasoline to diesel as opposed to hybrids or hydrogen. Hybrids have expensive battery replacements and hydrogen creation is inefficient by using more energy to create than it puts out. Diesels have neither of these downfalls and still will make people feel green. Once the diesel train starts moving, everyone will hop on due to the money savings with better gas mileage and the massive power.

Humorously, I have my brilliant lungs to thank for such a simple solution to a major worldwide problem. Hopefully, the whole world will wake up tomorrow and have the same epiphany that I did. I believe we will have a greener tomorrow.