Daniella - Houston, Texas

Daniella L

English 1 Pre-AP

Ms. Ciarella

February 6, 2008

Life is Full of Second Chances

“I’ve got it! I’ve got the golden ticket!” Charlie in “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” had gotten his second chance. While reading my favorite book as a child, I used to enjoy imagining getting my own chocolate factory and eating all the candy. As time went by I began to realize, more importantly, that Charlie had failed at his first attempt to get the ticket. He kept on believing in himself and succeeded the second time. Ever since then, I have believed in second chances.

Throughout my life I have come to better understand how many second chances have come my way. Perfection is often unattainable, but when I do something wrong I know that God is going to forgive me and I can move on. This encourages me to keep on persevering until I get it correct. For example, when I was in elementary school, I was involved in various plays. I tried out for a speaking part but unfortunately I didn’t get the part I wanted and felt like I had failed. I returned the next year to audition again and that time I was given one of the lead roles.

Sometimes we believe things about ourselves that aren’t true. For instance, basketball has been a sport that I’ve played through middle school and have continued in high school. At times I started believing I wasn’t good enough to play anymore. What I thought was false. My coach believed I could and continued to put me back in the game. I got my second chance to prove to myself that I can be good enough if I work hard to improve. My greatest amount of improvement came in the latter part of the season.

Receiving a second chance creates opportunities, emits feelings of security, and helps people to have a positive outlook on life. Leaving others out of a group or discriminating against them is unfair. When people behave immaturely, realizing they made a mistake, this can cause others, including their friends to misjudge their intentions. Each of us might view others in a less-judgmental way if we give them a second chance to be accepted.

A belief in second chances has provided me with enhanced opportunities for success and happiness. Opportunities or fair access shouldn’t be taken for granted or overlooked as if unimportant. Second chances are rays of sunshine bursting through the clouds after life’s rainstorms.