Keeping Your Head Above Water

Ryan - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

I believe in a higher being. I’m actually agnostic but there was this time when I was eight years old in Cancun, Mexico that had me wondering about angels. If you think that sounds weird, imagine if you were agnostic.

My family and I had often gone to different vacation spots over the years in my youth. So one summer I went to Cancun, Mexico with my family, including my ten year-old older brother in the winter of 1992. I was eight, and kind of chubby so needless to say, my brother used to pick on me ruthlessly. The kid had a six pack from birth, so I didn’t really see this as genetically fair. Anyway, we did not get along so well in those days and it wasn’t until we both were in college that we became better friends but, I would never forget this amazing experience that we shared together.

My brother and I were left to our own devices this very hot afternoon at our resort. My mother was up in the hotel room watching television; frankly, wherever my mother is, she is watching television. My father, tired of watching television, went to the resort bar to enjoy some tropical libations. My brother and I were warned about going into the ocean unaccompanied many times during the vacation but, we were tired of doing “nothing” the entire time and decided to be a little mischievous.

We venture out into the ocean, which is very segregated from the rest of the resort, and are playing around. After a while, we go off and start doing our own thing. My brother and I were really not paying attention to each other. Well, I notice that I am being sucked out farther to sea and begin not being able to touch the ground anymore. I was just a little kid, not very tall and not very strong. All of the sudden the waves are crashing down on me and I am having a very serious problem getting air. I was freaking out! I remember thinking to myself, please, god, save my brother. I did not have a reason to think that he was in trouble as well, I just had a feeling. I start tearing up and I truly am beginning to think that I am going to die.

All of the sudden, I get picked up out of the water and carried to the beach. I was laid down and the person who saved me lent over me but, it was high noon and the sun was placed directly behind his head, so I could not see his face, and to this day, I still have no idea what he looked like. The rescuer was gone when I got to my feet. Another person was there, however, my brother. My brother’s lips were bluer than the ocean I almost drowned in. Apparently, the exact things that were happening to me were happening to him. He told me that he prayed for me as well. Strangely, he told me that he was saved by a male rescuer that he also could not describe. We both were saved by the same person and did not have any clue to what he looked like.

This experience has taught me that there is some higher being. I do not know how else to describe it. I believe that somewhere out there, someone is watching over everyone. Whoever or whatever saved me and my brother, thank you.