Lauren - Houston/Texas/77024, Texas

The Teamwork and Dedication of Being a Part of a Group

Whether it be sports, drama, math, charity, art, or religion. Whether it be for your high school, city, neighborhood, or sports team. I believe that everyone should be a member of some type of group. There are groups and teams for everyone. They can help build unity, can make you feel involved, and can help you with your problems.

Before entering high school my mom told me to smile and join as many groups as possible. When I asked why, my mom explained that it would get help me become more involved and give me a chance to meet new people. Now that I have joined these groups they make me feel like I am apart of something and like I can make a difference. Also being on time to meetings and getting tasks that I am given done, makes me more responsible.

The most important group to me is my book club. Whenever I have a problem or need a friend I know I can rely on anyone in my group. Over the years my book club has been with me threw thick and thin. If I have a problem or just want to talk I know they are always there for me. I could not ask for a better group of people. A famous basketball player named Kareen Abdul- Jabbar once said “One man can be a crucial ingredient on a team, but one man cannot make a team.” Over Christmas break my book club helped out at the Ronald McDonald House. Seeing how happy the kids were with what they were going through, has given me a new outlook on my life. I know that by myself I could not have helped out as much, but by doing it with a larger group of people made a much bigger impact.

There are many other types of groups like support groups and group therapy. These help people with problems such as alcohol, drugs, and eating disorders. Statistics from the Sci Elo Espana website stated that with group therapy rather than individual therapy recovery rates doubled. Group therapy helps by creating a safe environment to talk about individual problems with a group of people who will listen without judging and who can offer support and advice. By not being judged you feel like you can talk about your problems freely and realize you are not alone.

Groups can be a very enjoyable way to spend time. Whether it’s for fun, for therapy, or educational purposes there are groups for everyone. This I believe that everyone should experience the dedication, teamwork, and fulfillment of being in a group