Miles - Houston, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in the life lessons I have gained from playing golf. I believe that if we compare golf to our lives, we will understand how we can improve our lives and our golf game. I believe golf is a metaphor for all of the aspects of life. I believe that golf is like everyday life.

When I was younger, my parents bought a membership at a golf course. I had never really considered playing golf, but my parents insisted that I take up the game anyway. I began practicing and eventually grew fond of the game. When I started taking the game seriously, my dad taught me all of the aspects of golf such as: putting, short game, course management, and many other aspects. At first, I thought that I would never learn the game in a million years, but I practiced and thought about a typical golf round, and golf rounds my dad had told me about. When I thought of a golf round, I began to understand how my life was similar to golf.

I first noticed that in my last round I had missed a lot of short putts that I should have made. That same week I had forgotten to do my homework. All those short putts I missed could have been prevented if I had taken my time to look at which direction the putt moved. Also, I could have prevented the incomplete homework assignment if I would have taken the time to sit down and just do the work.

There is a saying that if you cheat on the golf course, you cheat in life. One of the golf rounds my dad had told me about was when he played with other business men. The thing that made the round stand out was the fact that the business people cheated that day. My dad later found out that those business men who cheated also cheated when they did business. Also, golf is the only sport where a player can call a penalty on himself. If a player touches a bunker with his club, he is responsible for giving himself a two-stroke penalty. By practicing good morals on the golf course, you can also have good morals in life, like taking responsibility for your own actions.

The last round I thought of was when I struggled throughout the whole round. I played horribly, some clubs may have been tossed around, and ultimately my score for that round was bad. I also thought of taking a hard test that I bombed. I get frustrated when both of these unfortunate situations occur, and I usually have some difficulty in turning things around once these things happen.

Golf and life seem to correspond. Any given situation on the golf course seems to be a metaphor for any given situation in life.