Wayne - HOuston, Texas
Themes: Christianity

The Game of Life

I believe that my Christian life is like a baseball game.

I believe that if you compare the aspects of a baseball game with a Christian’s walk with God, you will find many similarities.

I believe the most important part of my Christian life is God. Through my experiences, I have learned that God is like a baseball coach. A coach always puts his players in the best position for them to succeed much like the Lord does for us.

From many years of baseball experience, I have learned that baseball is a game of failure. In the Major Leagues, a player is considered a good hitter if he has a batting average of at least .300, which means that he failed seven out of ten times at the plate. Similarly, every Christian fails in the walk with God. Everyone sins. I know I do, but God calls us to repent from out sins. Baseball also requires “repentance”. After striking out or making an error, it is important to bounce back and make the best out of another opportunity.

The different pitchers I face in a baseball game are comparable to the challenges I face in life. There are many challenges to overcome in my walk with Christ, and I never really know what life is going to “throw” at me. There are also many different types of pitchers in baseball. There are righties. There are lefties. There are pitchers with hard fastballs and pitchers with tricky change-ups. There are pitchers with looping curveballs and pitchers with nasty sliders. One thing I’ve learned in my years of baseball is that any pitcher can be beat just like any challenge can be overcome in my Christian life. God tells us in 1 Corinthians 10:13 that he will never give us a challenge that we can’t handle and will always give us a way out.

When I make errors on the baseball field or strike out at the plate, I know that I have teammates that will encourage me and pick me up rather than put me down. I have found that it is much easier to live a Christian life when you have friends that can provide help, encouragement, and hold you accountable for your actions.

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to play a baseball game without a bat and a glove? These tools are essential in a baseball game. God also gave us an essential tool for living our life, the Bible. The Bible consists of simple instructions on how we should live our lives. Every morning when I wake up, before I put on my make-up, I open my “tool”, or Bible, and read about how the Lord wants me to live my Christian life.

Comparing two of my greatest loves, my love for God and my love for baseball, has taught me a lot about how I should live my life. I believe my Christian life is like a baseball game.