Jane - flagstaff, Arizona
Themes: environment

Have you ever thought of conserving water for the future of our planet? I personally have thought of it, because I took a trip to Kenya, that made me realize the effects of not having water, has on peoples living conditions.

About two summers ago I went back to my roots which are in a country in Africa called Kenya. My parents had taken me to the Rift Valley, which was supposed to have a numerous amount of lakes that are overwhelmingly beautiful. But to my surprise it was a disappointment to me and my family because, several lakes had started to perish. It was very sad, because we realized that the people who lived around the lakes were suffering because of the receding water levels. This was a crisis for them because, the people in the valley depended on the lakes for their daily living.

One man, whose name I can’t recall, told us that the lakes in the Rift Valley used to be overwhelmingly filled with water. He said that if the lakes continue to lose water at the rate that they are, than many people wouldn’t have the water that helped people for thousands of years. The lakes in the Rift Valley have helped feed people with numerous fish, water to drink, and the water to water the plants they eat. The recent disintegrating of the lakes has and will continue to take a toll on the quality of life that the people who live around the lakes have.

Even though the people who lived in the Rift Valley had many troubles, they were still happy and they live every moment being thankful for the little water they had. My trip to the Rift Valley had made me realize that, no matter what problems are in the world, it’s not worth it to let them consume you, because life still goes on. Just like the people in the Rift Valley, who deal with their problems, and still find a place in their hearts to be happy, loving people.

My experience at the Rift Valley has taught me that, you never know how people in the other parts in the world appreciate things we take for granted in the United States. I consider myself very lucky to have a great father who has given me the opportunity to live in the United States, where things like a lack of water aren’t experienced on a day to day basis. I know more then ever that water is something we all should be thankful for, because not having it is not easy, so it is important that we conserve it so it can be here for a long time.