Christopher - Houston, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in basketball. Every single aspect of the game, from the mad handles to the graceful jumpers… all of it. I believe in living life just like playing a game of basketball.

After a long rough day at school, I decided to get out my feelings by playing a little basketball. Each shot seemed like it was going in, but each just rimmed out. Time passed, and finally frustration got to me. I decided to take a break and get some water. As I began to sip my bottle of Propel, I thought to myself, “Today is not my day, it seems like neither life nor basketball is going my way.” This thought led me to see the similarities between life and basketball.

The first thing that came to my mind about basketball was that sometimes you are hot and sometimes you are cold. Some games I can step out onto the court and score fifteen points with ten assists, but on other days, I may only end up with two points and ten missed shots. This is just like life, certain days might be great and I might feel like I am the happiest guy alive, but on others, I might feel like nothing is going right. I never know what is ahead of me or what tomorrow holds for me. The only thing I can do is come prepared, and not let it get me down. Every basketball game I face new opponents and different players. I have to be ready for them and all the problems they might bring.

The next similarity that I had found is that both basketball and life have rules and regulations. If I break one of those rules in basketball, the referee calls a foul on me. In life, if I decide to break the law, the police will punish me. Each foul in basketball can also be thought of as wrong doing in life. Many of them are committed but only some of them are seen by other people and only some of them are pointed out.

The last thought that came to me was that both basketball and life require courage and wisdom. Basketball can be a very tiring and hard sport; I need to have courage to overcome a tough team when we are down in the fourth quarter. I need wisdom on the court to lead my team. I need to step up and take responsibility to be the head man. I need to get over that feeling in my stomach that fills me with doubt; I cannot let that get intimidate me. I need to step up. This is the same case with life; I have to have the courage to face my problems with wisdom and understanding when the pressure is on.

At the end of the day, it does not matter what the score is, all that matters is that I played my best and I played with heart.

This is what I believe.