Nicola - Houston, Texas

Nicola H

English 1, Pre AP

Ms. Ciarella

February 4, 2008

Ingredients to a Complete Life

I believe in salads. When some people think of a quality salad they think of a dish of finely sliced or organically grown food. Not me; I like sloppy salads. Not ones with a couple pieces of lettuce and a few tomatoes thrown around, but I mean sloppy. I like salads that look like they have been assembled by a five year old. By creating the random arrangement of food, I think the importance of each individual ingredient that is outlined.

I believe in salads because they describe, in one simple dish, how I think I should live my life. I would add lettuce first, the most important ingredient, to represent how important it is to work hard in every task. I could add seven black olives for being a Christian. I could add bright red tomatoes for the love and friendships in my life. I would add green bell peppers to represent a healthier life and treating people equally. Finally I would add Italian dressing to blend it all together. To me, all these are ingredients to a perfect life and a perfect salad.

I believe in salads because they motivate people to live a healthier life. They not only taste great but they each contain important vitamins that are important to us. Some people strive to lead a healthier life style but are not able to accomplish their goals. By eating the ingredients to salads I gain the sensation of doing both.

I believe in salads because they are a metaphor for equality in life. Just like we discriminate against skin color and ethnicity in our world, there are ingredients that are not as popular as others. By choosing the ingredients that I normally would pass on, I am indicating acceptance in a sense. In the end, our world would be incomplete without diversity just like a salad would be incomplete without a variety of ingredients.

I believe in salads because they represent hard work and knowledge. The farmers who produced them took pride in each vegetable that was produced and placed in my salad. Through technology and knowledge that prior farmers have accumulated, farmers have found better ways of producing vegetables. Now that farmer can watch as his hard work plays a part in each of our lives.

I now can say that I truly believe in salads because they stand for many things in life that I admire in others. I believe that every aspect of my life is supposed to be enjoyed just like every bite of my salad should be savored. The variety in salads allows me to appreciate our complex society and recognize the values that I set for myself.