A Positive Approach

Auston - Abilene,TX 79699, Texas

Diabetes has been in my blood since I’ve been three years of age. I have had to deal with shots and pricking my finger since I was a small child. Since the day I was diagnosed, it has not slowed me down one bit.

Diabetes does not slow me down in anything that I do. I try not to complain about the constant sting of giving a shot because there are many people out there that have it much worse than me. At 19 years of age, I have been blessed with the ability to play baseball at the collegiate level. I can run just as well as anyone and am not short handed with the skill sets I possess. I’m confident when it comes to dating girls. I have been blessed with the girl of my dreams. To bad she lives back home but I’m confident we will be together no telling for how long. I can still study and go to class just like anyone else. Diabetes is not used as a crutch for me, I try and live a normal life just lie everyone else. The only difference is, I just have to watch my sugars a little closer.

Diabetes is constant work, I have to regulate my blood sugars four-to six times daily, prick my fingers numerous times, and give myself insulin shots. Not to mention that giving the wrong insulin to myself at a certain time in the day could send me into a seizure. I have gotten use to the shots no so it’s no biggie. I have gotten to know my body well enough to realize when my blood sugar is high or low. I try and keep sugar tablets with me at all times because I never know when I may have a flare up. My diet is pretty good compared to many of my peers. I eat relatively healthy in my eyes. I drink plenty of wheat grass, include protein regularly, and eat at every core meal during the day. I’m glad that I try and keep a good diet because regardless it’s good to eat nutritious. This is a great balance with the amount of lifting and running that I do. Baseball keeps my blood sugars fixed because I’m burning bad calories and staying active helps my blood not to fluctuate.

I feel that Diabetes has been a tribute to my character. I try not to quit at anything I do because I know it’s simple to just lay down. I try and keep things in perspective because Diabetes is definitely not even close to the worst thing in the world. I’ve always believed that’s its easy to lay down, life’s lessons are learned in the hardest of times. Wisdom of mine is learned from my defect because I’ve learned many traits about myself. I possess toughness that it unmatched because of this disease and im grateful for that. I have a no quit attitude when it comes to challenges in life.

Diabetes is becoming an epidemic in America because many people are simply lazy. Diabetes should not be as common as it is because people don’t have a well balanced diet. It’s easy to get accustomed to sitting around all the time because it’s easy, but why sit around and wait for Diabetes to get you next? Don’t let this splinter get you in the back because you won’t enjoy it one iota.