Megan - 77055, Texas

Megan D

English I, Pre- Ap

Ms. Ciarella

February 4, 2008

Are You Serious?

I believe life is too serious. I am fifteen years old, but I feel like I am thirty-five. Life is so stressful and everyone is always worried. Now, kids have to worry about getting good grades and getting into a good college. A principal at a high school in the United States made the curriculum easier for his students because he wanted to make school less stressful and more fun, but his students are now having a difficulty getting into good colleges. I do not understand why young people have to worry about stuff like this when their childhood is almost over. They should be able to be care and worry free for a few years because soon they will have to pick a career and start paying bills.

Last year my school took tours of some high schools that our principal thought we might be interesting in going to. At those schools they were always talking about academics and how their curriculum would get us into the college of our choice. They had lists of who their graduates were and where some of the recent graduates went to for college. All of this got my thinking about what I want to be when I get older. Then it hit me that the high school I chose would influence the rest of my life. If I could not handle the curriculum in high school I would not be able to get into a good college. All of these things were racing through my mind and it is very nerve-wrecking to think about the rest of your life when you are only thirteen.

I believe life is too serious. We should live in the moment and not take the present for granted. Life is a growing experience and material things do not truly matter because you could perish any day. No one knows if there really is a god or heaven, but the only thing we do know is that when we perish we cannot take any possessions with us, only the experiences of life. Money, clothes, cars, or any other material things will never amount to my happiness or truly living. Yes, it would be great to make lots of money, but I would rather experience the world around me. Do something spontaneous because any day could be your last. What I have learned is to not take my life or myself too serious.