Eric - Irmo, South Carolina
Themes: Christianity

The Reason for Faith: A Second Chance

“If you confess with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” – Romans 10:9, NIV. This verse summarizes the Christian faith, and it summarizes my core belief. I believe Jesus Christ is the human form of the divine God who came to earth to pay the price for humanity’s sins. I believe that anyone can be saved from their sins by simply doing what the verse says, confessing and believing in the power of Jesus Christ. This essentially means that I believe everyone can have a second chance. My belief in this second chance is what gives me hope for life beyond death, and lets me enjoy this life even more.

This belief influences my life, and every Christian’s life, in almost everything I do. Without a second chance, I do not know how anyone could truly be happy knowing there is nothing beyond this world. Some people believe there is not anything after this, so we should just do anything we want and indulge every temptation. However, I do not see true happiness in this belief. From my personal experience, as well as watching other people engage in these self-satisfying habits, I cannot see any kind of permanent happiness that results from doing whatever immediately feels good. Those of us who know we have heaven waiting for us can be truly happy in everything we do, because we know there is something even better just around the corner. Just knowing that eternal bliss is a mere lifetime away makes no bad things that happen to me drag me down too much. I can just think that I have been given a second chance at life, and I do not have to worry about this world for too much longer. This gives me a good perspective on life, and helps me get through these especially difficult teenage years. I believe this is a great way to live life, especially when I consider all the people I know who are incredibly worried about what is in the now and how in the world they can survive their school years. I think this is an unhealthy way to live, and I try not to be caught up in the stress of a fast-paced life. My belief in a second chance helps me immensely with this. This belief does more than just help me relax; however, it also gives me cause for joy. I will end with another verse that talks about why Jesus came to save us, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.” –John 10:10, NIV. This verse sums up my belief, that everyone has been given a second chance at life, and that this second chance enhances life to the fullest.