Marshall - Houston, Texas

Stand Up!

I believe in standing. One of the greatest problems America faces today is obesity. One of the main causes of obesity is lack of exercise. The simple solution to this problem is to stand up. Get off your chair and do something. Anything! It is as easy as that. On the other hand, there are times when you should stand still. The world these days has become incredibly fast-paced. Everything is being invented and rebuilt to be faster. This faster pace causes us to lose sight of the simple things in life. Take a few minutes to just stand still and “soak in” the world around you. Relax. Be silent and listen to the wind blow.

The fast paced lives we live can also become extremely dull and boring because nothing changes. You wake up, go to work, come home from work, go to bed and repeat the process over and over again. In my case it would be school, which is close enough to a job. Stand up from this boredom and do something for yourself. Go skydiving, climb a mountain, or simply play with your dog.

I believe in standing up for yourself and what you believe in. Sixth grade made me realize how important standing up is to leading a successful and happy life. I went into sixth grade a nerd and somewhat of a loner. In my gym class I got beaten up in the locker room by a random kid. All the while I did nothing but sit around. Near the end of gym class and the middle of sixth grade I began to stand up for myself and what I believed in. It turns out that standing up changed the rest of my middle school experience. I was not a loner anymore and the kid that was beating me up stopped.

I believe in standing up to applaud other people’s success. You should never be envious or angered because of another’s success. You should congratulate them for their hard work and dedication. Success does not have to be a huge promotion. Success could easily be a member of your family getting an “A” on their report card. Applauding their success not only boosts their confidence it also encourages them to continue trying to succeed. All of us should share the excitement of success. Someday another person will stand up and applaud you for your success and you will know the joyous feelings it brings.

I believe in standing. It is as easy as that. If you stand you will be healthier, more relaxed, less bored, feel stronger in yourself, and make others around you feel good. In the words of Bob Marley, “Get up, stand up.”