Jade - Bismarck, North Dakota

This I Believe: I Am My Own Person

There comes a point in everyone’s life when they have to decide who they will be. Will they be second-generation replicas of their parents with manufactured personalities and quirks? Will they retain all their faults and blame them on those who exhibited them first? Or will they choose to be their own person? I had to make this decision at one point. I spent much of my childhood blaming all of my problems and blunders on various people in my rocky childhood. I was angry because of my parents divorce. I never did my homework because I was too busy being shuffled from house to house. It was my teachers fault my grade were bad, after all, I didn’t like her. That, and a host of other excuses, made up my elementary and pre-teen existence. But one day I realized that the only person being harmed by my decisions was myself. I then decided that I would change. I believe that by being my own person I could change who I was. I would assume responsibility for my thoughts and actions and wouldn’t let them be dictated by excuses, society or other people. Today I am a freethinking individual who wants to make a change in the world, just like I have changed myself. I have made a stand to be my own person, to face my flaws and deficiencies. The journey has not been easy by any means and I imagine that it will only get harder, but when I look back one day I will be able to say that I have seized life and made it my own. I have been my own person and will continue to do so.