Chase - Houston/Texas/77024, Texas

Chase H

English I, Pre AP

Ms. Ciarella

February 4, 2008

Fish in the Sea

Hollywood is a sea filled with thousands of different kinds of celebrities, just like the thousands of species underwater. The sharks are the celebrities that only care about themselves and will eat anyone in order to survive. The plankton are the celebrities that try their hardest to survive but never make it in the end. The dolphins are the celebrities that are successful but also care for those that struggle to survive. I believe that Bono, the lead singer of the rock band U2, is a dolphin, because he uses his success and celebrity status to benefit the silenced voices of the dying people throughout Africa.

Bono is one of the most successful men in Hollywood. He is the founder of various programs that help save thousands of lives of A.I.D.S. sufferers in Africa, just like the dolphin saves the other fish in the sea that are weak. Bono is the co-founder of an organization called Product Red; he has worked with co-founder Bobby Shriver to raise money for the Global Fund in Africa that helps those suffering with A.I.D.S. The dolphin was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize and he was one of the, “People of the Year,” by Time Magazine in 2005 for his contributions to those in Africa. I believe that all of the dolphins in our world have received a message from God and that He chose people like Bono to make a difference in our world.

Dolphins are like peacemakers, and without them, there would be constant fighting between the sharks and the plankton. Over time, the sharks would eventually consume all of the plankton, making the sharks the rulers of the sea. I believe that our world needs to jump on the bandwagon with Bono and do anything it can to save lives of Africans suffering from A.I.D.S. If more people took small steps toward this effort, the plankton could avoid being eaten by the sharks.

I believe in dolphins and that people of all races and classes should become more like dolphins. There are close to 33.2 million people that suffer from A.I.D.S. in Africa, and almost all of them will die unless they receive the medicine that fights the disease. If more people made even a small contribution to the dying people in Africa, the lives of many A.I.D.S. patients would be prolonged. One dolphin like Bono could help to save millions of lives in Africa just by lending a helping hand. I believe that no matter how small or how large a dolphin is, every dolphin can be someone’s hero if they just reach out and help others.