Miki - houston, Texas

Something Special

I believe in music. Just one song can inspire millions of people. Music is the special something in movies that makes us cry or laugh. It sets the mood in nice restaurants or at rock concerts. Without music, life would not be as exciting. It is the special effect in our lives that makes living every day a little more interesting.

Have you ever heard the phrase, “Mozart makes you smarter?” Well, it is true! Many studies show that people who listen to classical music do better in school. Whenever our family goes on long road trips, my mom always has several classical cds at hand to listen to in the car. We used to always complain because we hated it. Everyone at school listened to 104.1 KRBE, and classical music just was not the cool thing. As I grew older, I started to appreciate classical music because I have always been exposed to it. I can also thank my mom for all my good grades!

Since I was eight years old, I have been taking piano lessons, and I think I have found my true passion in piano. Learning all the laws of music was very interesting to me, and around three years ago, I decided to put what I had learned to a test. I wrote my very first song. As I wrote, I realized something. There are no laws in music. It is what you feel and believe, and there is never a wrong answer for that. Not everyone has to understand it or appreciate it because no one has lived your life. This concept is what I love about music.

Have you ever listened to a song that you instantly fell in love with? That made you cry your eyes out or angry with yourself? Some lyrics that you completely understood because you went through the exact same thing? Music makes you feel like there is someone out there that understands you. My teacher once gave me a piece to learn that might have been a little too hard for me to understand. Now, looking back, I realize that that piece is one of my all time favorites because I can really connect to it.

It is not about what sounds pretty, or what the latest thing is. Music is about what you feel and what you have gone through. If there is one thing I believe in with my whole heart, it is music.