Emily - houston, Texas

Allie R

Think Positive

Henry Ford once said, “Whether you think you can or can’t do something, you’re probably right.” I believe Henry Ford was right. I think that if you want to accomplish some thing, any thing, if you approach the task with a positive attitude you are more likely to succeed than if you approach it with a negative attitude. I believe that people that have positive attitudes: (1) accomplish more goals and are more successful; (2) are able to attract and influence others; and (3) are physically and mentally healthier than people who have negative attitudes.

Several years ago, I was playing in a tied soccer game and was called on to make a “PK.” I approached the box with a negative attitude. I said, “Oh no…why me…what if I miss?” I did. I blew it and I know it was because I was thinking that I would not make that goal. Henry Ford was right. Now when my team has a shootout, I say to myself, “Awesome, I am going to kick the winning goal!” Now, I approach the box with a positive attitude and I am usually rewarded.

I believe that people with positive attitudes are able to attract and influence others better than those with negative attitudes. This is true in the business world and in high school. Famous businessmen, like Michael Dell and Warren Buffet, are known for their positive attitudes. They use them to influence and attract people, money and opportunities. People want to jump on their bandwagon and be on their team. In high school, team captains, coaches, student counsels, cheerleaders and even homecoming queens have positive attitudes, which they use to attract and influence others.

I believe that people with positive attitudes are physically and mentally healthier than people with negative attitudes. My belief is supported by many scientific studies. My mom once told me a story about a woman whose husband had an inoperable, fatal brain tumor. Rather than prepare for his death, this man, his family, and his friends prayed and maintained positive attitudes about his recovery. Sure enough, just like a cloud of smoke disinigrating into thin air, his tumor disappeared. There are thousands of other stories where positive attitudes have healed real physical and mental sicknesses. There are also stories where a person’s negative attitude has caused an illness or condition, such as a heart attack. Seven out of ten ads for nurse assistants list “positive attitude” as a requirement. Not surprisingly, none list “negative attitude.”

I believe that Henry Ford was right. I believe that: “If you think you can, you can…but if you think you can’t, you probably won’t.” I believe that people with positive attitudes are better able to accomplish goals, are more successful, are able to attract and influence others, and are physically and mentally healthier than people with negative attitudes. Since it is better to have a positive attitude than to have a negative one, I for one intend to get one.