Charles - Houston, Texas
Themes: sports

I believe in putting on my uniform, strapping up the shoes, giving the pre-game

speech, and stepping into the gym where the crowd is buzzing. I believe in

the game of basketball.

I was thirteen years old. My girlfriend had just broken up with me after we had

been going out for eight months. It was the most depressing time of my life. I didn’t

know how I was going to get through it. I really had no one to turn to except for my

parents and I don’t feel comfortable talking to them about my social life. That’s when I

really turned to basketball for help. Every time I felt like just dropping to the floor, I

would sprint outside pick up a basketball and just start shooting. I can practice from

twenty minutes to three hours, but for that select time all of my problems just go away. I

just forget about everything and just concentrate on putting the ball in the basket. This is

why I believe in the game of basketball.

I strive to be the best that I can be. I give it my all every time I touch the court.

Hard work and practice are the keys to the game of basketball. Every time I touch the ball

I feel like I am holding my college tuition. I know that giving everything in my tank each

and every day, whether I am at practice or in a game, can ease the pain on my college

tuition. It can help my parents retire early and live better lives. This is why I believe in

the game of basketball.

Every spring about sixty kids are given the opportunity to make a living playing

basketball. Determination can get you anywhere in life. I play to be one of those kids

everyday. To tell you the truth, I’m pretty sure I won’t end up playing in the NBA.

The reason I set my goals so high is, so that later in life when I have a chance at a

promotion, for instance, I will be able to work my tail off to reach that goal, because of

my earlier experience. My confidence will sky rocket because I know that if I worked

that hard for a goal that is almost impossible to reach, why can’t I reach a goal that

is nearly an arm’s length away. This is why I believe in the game of basketball.

If you are a young kid, who really does want to become an NBA player, don’t let

the odds frighten you. I live by two sayings one of my old coaches used to preach. “Hard

work beats talent, when talent doesn’t work hard.” He’d follow it up by declaiming, “God

gives talent, but he does not give heart.” Work hard at following you’re goals and you’ll

be surprised what happens. This is why I believe in the game of basketball.

To me the game of basketball goes beyond what just happens on the court. It

helps people with teamwork, dedication, and determination. All of which are necessities

to high-paying jobs. Writing this paper has actually showed me how much I love

basketball, but it has also showed me how much I depend on it. This is why I believe

in the game of basketball.