Shu Chu - Houston, Texas

Being Optimistic

I believe in being an optimistic person. I believe that optimism has always gotten me through tough times. I believe optimism will allow me to live a long, happy and prosperous life no matter what situation I am in.

I have many problems and worries in my life. I believe being optimistic is the first step in accomplishing my goals and overcoming obstacles. Nothing gives me a greater headache than math tests. This is a phobia I have had since I was young, but every time I take a test, I try to think positive. I tell myself that I will get a high score on the test and maybe even ace it, this way I am relaxed and do much better on the test than when I am being pessimistic.

Thomas Edison was a famous scientist whose laboratory got burned down by a big fire. However, the fire didn’t burn Edison’s open mind and positive thoughts. He didn’t give up his dreams and made the first phonograph in just three weeks. He succeeded because he always looked on the bright side. If Edison could go through such a negative experience and still create such a profound invention, then why

should a minor test be such a major obstacle? I try to use this kind of optimism in my daily life.

Optimism keeps me feeling happier and healthier. Moving to Houston was a big turning point in my life. At first, I refused to accept this and all I could think of was that it was on the opposite side of the world. I knew no one there and I was about to lose all my friends. Then I decided to have a positive perspective on the matter since I had to move there anyway. It would be best not to be so unhappy but to just enjoy the few precious weeks I could spend with my friends.

Reminding myself to be open minded and flexible, at all times, has helped me a great deal and everything has turned out better than I had thought it would be! I believe that life is as good as you make it.