Alexa - Houston, Texas

Alexa G

English I, Pre-AP

Ms. Ciarrela

February 4, 2008

The Power of Music

Where did unity go? Did it ever exist? Are there always boundaries that separate us from each other? Not always! I believe music is the great unifier. Music inspires tortured souls to reach out. People dance to other people’s music. Love emanates from the crafted song. Strumming strings, blowing horns, and beating drums allow the human race to make sense of the world. Lyrics speak to us. Pure music plucks our souls. The beautiful sound of music without lyrics is capable of motivating me in ways I never thought possible.

A single song may represent a whole wedding. For my mother and father’s special day, a sweet song locked in our collective memory forever, brings forth their indescribable love. The song, Collie Man by Slightly Stoopid, is capable of taking me back to each single second of a momentous relationship. Those same lyrics helped me get through my first real heartbreak, encouraging me to move on through my sadness. The song never seems to get old, maybe because of the wonderful memories that spring up or because of its positive lyrics. Now the song, our song, is locked in me forever. This is my song, our song.

“ And the road to life, yes it goes up and down. Doesn’t really matter. As long as the music goes on.” – Collie Man by Slightly Stoopid

Everyone appreciates music. It is uplifting and powerful. The sound of the music can make lyrics resonate and, as a result, emotions run deeper. Emotional understanding and hope spring from music’s impact. Music has been a way for me to discover my emotions.

I believe music is the cure for people who feel incapable of fully expressing themselves through other ways. For example, Tony DeBlois is a blind autistic savant. Today, through music, he has transformed himself into one of the greatest savant musicians of all time, touching many people with his songs.

Music allows us to communicate with ourselves and share our emotions with others. Listen to the lyrics, the melody; the rhythm from a great song that is meaningful to you and emotional memories will flow through you. The music will even help you to survive the trying times of your life, like it did for me.