Tennia - irmo, South Carolina

Standing Up for You

I guess you could say that I have my own way of doing things. When someone tells me to do something, for some reason, I want to do it my way. It’s not that I’m a rebel or anything, but I understand that I’m a unique individual. But sometimes my uniqueness get’s mistaken as weird. Many people think it’s acceptable to judge people based off of their differences. In truth that only leaves an empty space of ignorance and allowing room for the belittlement of others. The first step to success is standing up for yourself.

I know how it feels. I was home schooled for sever years, and I begged my mom to let me back in public school because I wanted to be normal. I enrolled in the eighth grade, I didn’t really know anybody, and it was hard making friends. I had quite a few classes with “delinquents” that didn’t really care about their education as much as I did. So I got mocked for having the highest grade in the class and being the “smart” kid instead of being aspired. Since I was so insecure at the time I didn’t know how to handle ridicule. I tried to say something smart, but that didn’t work. So I began focusing on me and not letting anyone get in the way of my self esteem. When they said something I just tell them how I really felt about their actions. No one can tell you how you feel, so how could they use your feelings against you? When other classmates saw how I stood up for myself, the atmosphere changed in the classroom and in my life. People had gotten their idea across, so get your feelings across. Don’t just sit there and be another unheard voice!

Everyone can account for a time in their life when someone made them feel less than what they really were. The first reaction is usually ignoring the comment or gesture, but when “bullies” continue with their terrorizing, then it begins to weigh down on you, and you start a cycle of subjecting yourself to their amusement. I realized that the only reason I got treated the way I did was that fact that I didn’t try to be something that I’m not while they were as fake as can be. It’s almost like their envious because someone else is truly comfortable about themselves, and their reaction to someone being comfortable is immaturity.

Before you can stand up for anything else you must stand up for yourself. If no one stood up for themselves to begin with, then I probably would never have written this selection hoping to encourage others. So believing in yourself and standing up for everything you believe in, is a possession that no one can take from you.