Sarah - Irmo, South Carolina

“You believe what you were taught from birth,” my mom slurred out, her eyes glazed—reeking of the alcohol so apparent on her tainted breath. I sighed and smiled, shaking my head.

“No, Mom,” I said, “You may ‘believe’ what you were taught as you grew up, but not me. I believe the truth.”

The memory of my mom’s words on that nearly desolate night hangs lightly on my mind, yet my own response is what remains embedded in my thoughts. The truth. How does one define ‘the truth’? Is it a relative thing, changing from person to person and molding with each situation? Is it what I accept to be true? What the world thinks is right? What classifies such a broad thing as “the truth”? Surely, not finite beings as ourselves. No, our opinions differ so much that simple human beings cannot define something as explicit as “the truth”. By that mode of classification, would there ever be a “truth” in the world?

By today’s standards, it seems not many people believe there is a set truth. No one is wrong. Everyone is right. Everyone has his or her own opinion. Someone’s opinion cannot be wrong, because that is what it is—an opinion. There is nothing that is definite. Everything is a matter of perspective. Perspective. Where do people decide whose “perspective” is right? Simply because a society believes it’s okay to sacrifice people to their gods, is it right? We would call them savages. That’s how we labeled the Aztecs. But no! People would say, “They were killing humans. That’s completely different from such-and-such or so-and-so.” But it was their belief, was it not? Does that make it right? Where is the line drawn between opinion and truth?

Surely we cannot decide that line on our own. There has to be something definite that distinguishes in all of us what is right and what is wrong. A conscience did not just “evolve” into us when we “became” humans. It was put there. By something that is definite and eternal. Someone. A being that, from the beginning, defined right from wrong, good from evil. A God that defines the truth. The truth that the world should live by, yet so many have missed—or a more appropriate description, it is the truth that people have denied and thrown to the wayside.

Jesus said, “I am the Way, the Truth, and the Light. No one comes to the Father but by me” (John 14:6). This man gave His life for the world. Romans 5:8 states, “but God shows his love for us in the while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” While he hung on the cross, suffering and dying a death so cruel that he was unrecognizable as a man, being ridiculed and mocked by the world, he cried out, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do” (Luke 23:43). He has given us this chance of freedom, yet the world is “happy” without him. He died so that we may live, but people deny the fact that they have sinned at all. They are too prideful to live with him, so they live and die without. “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us” (1 John 1:8).

Jesus Christ is Lord. He is the one and only, the one I live to worship. He is my God. He is the God. No matter what “perspective” anyone is looking at it, Truth cannot be swayed by opinion.

I believe in Jesus the Messiah. I believe in God All-Mighty. I believe in the great I AM. I believe in the powers of the Holy Spirit. I believe in the Unfathomable. I believe that God will enact His justice. I believe in eternal salvation. I believe in Truth.