Brandy - Houston, Texas

Life is a Path

Sometimes in life we may find ourselves in a situation that we’d rather not be in, or we may be where we have wanted to be our whole life. However, I believe that we get to both of those places in the same way. We choose how we get there. I believe that life is like a path and we decide which route to take. There is always a choice, whether it is a good one or a bad one. Nothing is set in stone until it happens, until we decide in our mind that it is going to happen.

When I first started playing softball I did not want to put the work in. I would ask my mom if I had to go to practice and she would say that it was up to me. Eventually I stopped going, tried other things but realized that I was lost without it. I started working out again and got back into the game. It was hard; I had a lot of ground to make up for. But I worked through it. My path has had some different turns and loops. But in the end I realized that I had to retrace my steps to be where I had been when I first said no and go in the opposite direction.

Life is a path that we follow. A path with turns in every direction and forks in every road. We decide whether or not to take the left path or the right. Not our best friends, not our mother, not our boyfriend or, even God but we do. We are in control of our own life. Some paths may have signs to help guide the way, some may not, some people might have to backtrack to get where they want to be. Some may even come to a stop, realize that they are lost, and must get back on track.

All of our paths begin and end in different places. It is part of what makes us unique. Some paths may cross over others; some may even merge for a short while. But no two paths are exactly alike. Even if you have an identical twin you have our own path to follow.

Some people say we follow in the footsteps of our parents I say they teach us how to walk; we come to our fork in the road and go our separate ways. Then our real journey begins. We must make our own choices; we no longer rely on someone else. But it is of great importance that we try our hardest to make the right choice and follow the path that will lead us to where we want to go. Sure we may make some mistakes along the way, that’s how we learn. But we have to make those mistakes for ourselves, we make those choices and we chose our own path. I believe that life is like a path and we decide which route to take.