Brooke - Houston, Texas

That Kind of Family

The average American spends forty-five hours every year on hold, three thousand ninety-six hours a year sleeping, three years of their life on the toilet, and over five years of their life watching television. How much of an average person’s life is spent with their family? How often do families stop their stressful and hectic lifestyles to spend time with one another? I believe in a family that will sit down and eat together, that will care enough about each other to make memories together, and that will support each other and worship as a whole. I believe in that kind of family.

When I walk through my house, pictures surround the walls like a sea of moments from my past. Some of the pictures bring tears such as the one taken the day we left my brother in College Station. Others, like the one of my sister and me dressed in all black before “borrowing” a street sign, bring laughter. The pictures of my family trigger a smile because I know we all care about each other and enjoy making memories together. We share bonds that a lot of families do not get to or want to experience. I believe in the kind of family that wants to share and create memories together.

Every weekday I get up at 6:15 and must be ready to go to school by 7:25. Over seven hours of schoolwork later, I rush to get home and be ready to leave for volleyball by 4:00. After four hours of driving and practicing, I finally sink into my chair at the dinner table. Thoughts of homework stream through my head, but as I look at my family, who waited for me to eat dinner, it’s like nothing else matters. Every day is a new time crunch- make sure to get this done before you have to be at this event. Every minute of every day is spent trying to catch up, even when we feel the world is passing us by. Although my family has different schedules and different places to be, we somehow find time to stop the rush and eat dinner as a family. That is what a family is about- being able to stop and enjoy each other’s company. I believe in a family that cares enough to make family time an important part of their daily routine.

Not only should a family be able to eat and talk together, but they should be able to worship and praise God together. The time a family spends with one another is wonderful, but the time a family spends with one another and God is indescribable. I believe in the kind of family that centers their lives and the way they live around God, that will support each other and worship as a whole. I believe in that kind of family.