Atul - Chicago, Illinois

“Haha, haha.” I think that the sound of laughter should be heard from everyone at least once a day. The sound of laughter heals the soul and relieves stress from peoples’ lives. Laughter allows people to blow off steam and have fun. When I’m in pain or when I’m nervous about something I like to remember something funny to calm myself. That’s why I always keep a special picture in my wallet. I believe that laughter is the key to life and can sooth any wound.

Laughter is the wonder-drug that everyone is looking for. It cures all aliments of the heart and helps people get through some of the toughest times in their lives. I remember when my father had a heart attack and he was in the hospital. I was really stressed and worried about my father, but I my uncle told funny stories of my father as a child. He told me that my father had once fell into a fountain trying to impress a girl. Even this small embarrassing story helped me relax just a little in such a stressful time. My father’s okay now and he tells me funny stories about his past all the time.

I work really hard to get good grades and make my family proud of me. Sometimes the pressure and strain of schoolwork really wears me down. What I like to do when I’m working is take little breaks. I usually turn on the TV and watch a sitcom which helps me get loose. Watching something funny and laughing at it helps take your mind off all the other stresses in your life. A television show that makes you laugh is like gold. It’s one of the most valuable elements in the world. I think that all shows on TV should be funny or at least have some type of humor.

You never know when you’ll be in a bad mood. I hate being in a bad mood about anything so I always carry a reminder of one of the funniest moments in the history of my family. This reminder is a picture of the day my aunt fell while dancing at the family reunion in India. I only use this reminder when I’m having a genuinely bad day. I just have to look at that picture once and my spirits are automatically lifted. It makes me laugh really hard every time which always puts a smile on my face.

Laughter is the key to life because it brings happiness to everyone who experiences it. If everyone laughed everyday of their lives then they would enjoy a lot more. Laughter is like medicine with only one side affect, happiness. “Live, laugh, and learn.” Those are the words I live by and that’s why I’m happy. Live life to the fullest, laugh as much as you can, and learn how to be happy.