stephanie - houston, Texas

A lot like Cereal

There are three hundred ten different types of cereals, they are all different in many ways some can be fruity, chocolaty, crunchy or soft. Cereal is a great way to get multi-grains into your body and live a healthy life. When I walk into the cereal aisle in a super market I always think to myself “wow.” Have you ever looked at every kind of cereal there is? Have you ever taken the time to look at other cereals and choose something rather than your usual? Walking down the cereal isle got me thinking, cereal is a lot like people. Think about it, there are many types of people in the world with different personalities, but it turns out at the end of the day were all people. There are many types of cereals in your super market but at the end of the day, they’re all cereal.

Everyone has their own favorite cereal, yours may be Lucky Charms and mine may be Fruity Pebbles. If someone told you that their cereal is much better than yours, you’re most likely going to ignore them and keep on eating the cereal you like. Just like we all have our different views of cereal, we all have different views of life. The way you view life is the way you carry out your life and no one can change that.

You have probably heard the saying “Don’t judge a book by its cover” well I say don’t judge a cereal by its cover. Unless you open and taste the cereal you will not know what it is like. Just like people, unless you get to know a person you will not know what they are like. The designs and colors of a box are the first impressions you get, but what you see is not only what you get. This reminds of people, if you see a man dressed up in all black, shinny and heavy chains on his pants and long black hair in front of his face you are going to think “what is up with that guy”, that is your first impression. First impressions can be deceiving, what if that guy was the nicest person in the world? This takes me back to when I was a little girl, when I got to pick out my cereal I would always get the box with pretty colors and the words “free gift inside.” When I actually ate the cereal, I never liked it.

Cereal has a box as protection, like people we also have protections, whether it is God or your favorite blanket. We all have something that makes us feel safe and know we are not alone. Protections are seen very differently by everyone, just like cereals.

I believe in cereal- whether it be fruit flavored, chocolate flavored, honey flavored, crunchy, or soft. Cereals are just cereals and people are just people, we are all equal.