Yasmine - Houston, Texas

Endless Hurdle Race

The day was hot, sunny, and I was running for my life. The smell of freshly cut grass tingled my nose, and the panting of the other runners buzzed in my ears. I saw the next hurdle in front of me. It sat eagerly waiting for me to jump over it. I took another long step and lifted myself into the air. I jumped over it and landed firmly on the ground. Quickly, without wasting any time, I began to run again. The second hurdle sat in front of me. I was not going to let it slow me down.

Life is like an endless hurdle race, with endless obstacles that block our way. In order to finish this endless hurdle race successfully, we need to keep moving forward. I believe in moving forward. I believe in overcoming these endless obstacles and moving forward.

As humans we are not perfect. We make mistakes and receive bad news that block our paths. As humans we should try to overcome these obstacles. Staying behind these obstacles and not overcoming them is unhealthy and can lead to depression. Studies show that people can get depression by holding on to past events that have burdened their lives. If these people were to move forward and over come their hurdles then maybe they wouldn’t be depressed.

God placed obstacles in our paths to make us stronger. These obstacles drive us to do better and achieve higher standards for ourselves. If I were to receive a low test grade then I will over come this hurdle and study harder so that I can do better on the next test.

Sometimes, when I jump over a hurdle, I have a faulty landing. I get scratched up and get hurt really badly. However, just because I get hurt in the race does not mean they will stop the race. The race will go on. If I can, then I will get up, and continue to go on. If I cannot get up, then I will stay down. Just because I am hurt in life does not mean that life will stop. Life will continue to move forward whether or not I am on the same page.

In a hurdle race, if I do not jump over the hurdles, I will lose. In life, if I do not overcome my obstacles, then I will lose. Like a hurdle race, in order to win, I have to move forward. I need to jump over the hurdles, when necessary, and move forward. In life, if I do not jump over my hurdles, then I will never win.

Whenever I am faced with a difficult task that I must overcome, I will jump over it. Whenever I stuck in a hopeless situation, I will jump over it. Whenever I am faced with a hurdle, I will jump over it. In this endless race of life, I will win.