jay - Houston, Texas

Jay B

English I, Pre-Ap

Ms. Ciarella

February 5, 2008

America’s Leeches

I believe that America is for Americans. Over the past few decades there has been a rise in the number of illegal immigrants coming over from Mexico and other countries. As the number of immigrants has increased, the draining effect that they have on this great country, has been magnified. Although the immigrants themselves started the problem, our Government is perpetuating it.

Regardless of personal opinions and emotions, there is at least one reason why you should be against illegal immigrant workers and for American workers. They leech money from our economy. The main way being, a large majority of them come over just so that they can make money and then send it over to Mexico, taking money out of our economy. Another way in which they indirectly hurt our economy is, through the use of public services that we as Americans have for pay with taxes. Starting with kids that they send to public schools. Not only their preexisting children, but they also send the ones that they give birth to here in America. Most of these children also incur additional expenses to schools through such programs as, reduced or free lunch, English as a second language classes, and also with free supplies. Lastly, some even go on welfare or food stamps. These are programs that are supposed to be used to help Americans.

Now with emotions and opinions included there are still many reasons why I believe America is for Americans. Illegal immigrants are a threat to America’s well being. Currently there are roughly three hundred fifty seven thousand thirty-nine illegal immigrants incarcerated in U.S. jails. These crimes range from petty theft, murder and even terrorism. Several of the men involved in the nine eleven bombings were illegal immigrants that had come to America through the U.S. and Mexico border. So although the majority of the immigration problems come from Mexico’s immigrants, problems also arise from other illegal immigrants that get through because of the lax border patrol.

Finally, illegal immigrants take jobs away from deserving citizens just because they are willing to do the same job for less money. Some say that they are jobs that nobody else wants or is willing to do, but someone obviously did it before the leeches took over. Where did they go? I know in my heart that somewhere out there are the Americans, who lost their job to illegal immigrants. For the most part these are hard working people who couldn’t work for below minimum wage because they had to feed their family. I believe that in order for America to become yet again great, the leeches must be pulled off of our skin.