Jonathon - Houston, Texas

Baylor University

I believe in Baylor University. I believe in the atmosphere there. I believe in the students. I believe in the sports. But, most of all, I believe in the school.

I believe this partly because my mom and her family all went there. That is just natural. I mean, who does not like the college their parents went to?

My belief is deeper than that familial affection though. I believe in the Christian atmosphere that Baylor, as the largest Baptist university in the country, gives off. It is a feeling that is usually only found in churches and the like, and I am glad to find it in as big a place as Baylor.

I believe in the people that go to Baylor as well. They are different from the students that go to Texas or A&M; they are quieter and more subdued. While you might think this is a bad thing, I think it is wonderful. The 14,000 students that go to Baylor are just as joyful and enthusiastic as any other college students, but they express it in a different way, a better way, a Baylor way.

Lastly, I believe in Baylor’s athletic program. Their men’s basketball team is number four in the Big 12 Conference and number twenty-five in the nation. Their women’s basketball team is number one in the conference and number six in the country. When you go to one of the games, there is this feeling of hope in the air, and, each time Baylor does something right, the stands explode with cheers. The emotion is so overwhelming; you can not help but be swept up by it and cheer right along with them. Men’s or women’s, it does not matter, the crowd and the school is one-hundred percent behind them.

Basketball is only one aspect of Baylor athletics though, and the other parts are just as great as the first. Their track and field team is one of the best in the country, and has won more gold medals, and produced more star athletes than any other school in the nation. Their baseball team has been to the tournament too many times to count and their football team has the complete support of both the fans and the students.

That is why I believe in Baylor University. Not just the school though, all the different parts of it – the students, the sports, the atmosphere, everything.