Laverne - Irmo, South Carolina

The Power of the Bible: Strengthening Mind, Soul and Body

Since January 1, 2008, I have tried to make it my mission to read the Bible throughout the year and my boyfriend has joined me in this. It is true that the Old Testament is hard to understand at times, but it truly does brighten my day. In this day and age, any time I can find peace is wonderful and I can experience that while I read the Bible.

The peace that I experience is not just spiritual, but also emotional and physical. There is just something about God’s Holy Word that makes me smile everyday and that has helped me get through each day. When I read the Bible on a good day, I can get my spiritual blessing, an over-pouring of what God has blessed me with during that day and how I can bless others through my lifestyle. It also helps emotionally as well. When times just seem to be rough and all I want to do is stress over things in my life, God reminds me of His Word, and I indulge in that so I do not have to feel an emotional burden. God puts things in my life as a challenge, a test, and how I deal with them tells a lot about me. People can mistreat me, but in God’s Word, it says, “Vengeance is mine” (Romans 12:19). I do not have to feel emotionally hurt by what people do because there is no point dwelling on things that I cannot change. The Word can also help physically. I was really feeling ill a few days ago. I could barely sleep for thirty minutes without becoming ill, but after reading God’s Word for about thirty minutes that night, I slept like a baby and the next day I felt a lot better. Granted, my back was killing me, but I thanked God for His blessings because that is what His Word says to do, or else He will make the stones cry out in my place and He knows that I have come through too much to have a stone cry out in my place.

Reading the Bible keeps me prepared and aids me in my time of need because this is one of the weapons that God gave me to battle against my enemies on Earth. I never want my guard to be down just because I did not read His Word. I believe what I read in the Bible strengthens me every second of every minut