Ronni - Norman, Oklahoma

Today is February 1st. February has always been my favorite month of the year for the different emotions it brings forth. Of course, the first emotion to come to mind, love.

I believe in love, and the power of love.

But not the kind of love that people usually think about for February. Not the love felt in a relationship between a man and a woman. But the unconditional, indescribable, incomprehendable love that the Creator and Savior of this world has for His creation.

I am a Christian.

I am not here to preach, and I am not here to shove Christianity down someone’s throat. But I am here to tell a story about how love has the power to completely change someone’s life:

I couldn’t sleep. There was far too much on my mind. “You’ll never be as beautiful or as skinny as your sisters. You’ll never be as smart as your brother. Your parents will never love you like they do your siblings. You’ll never be skinny enough. You’ll never be pretty enough…” The thoughts screamed throughout me. I felt trapped in this hole of despair without a single amount of confidence in myself and who I was as a person. The tears flowed vehemently as I tossed and turned in my bed hoping nobody would hear me. It was too much to bear.

Suddenly, there was quietness. In that silence, was a voice. A voice that possessed strength, power, and sovereignty, but yet also an equal amount of peace, love, and gentleness beyond anything like I had ever heard before.

“I love you. I love you just the way you are. You are perfect.”

The power of those three words, “I love you,” was absolutely breathtaking. For someone who had struggled with anorexia most of her high school career, I couldn’t believe how life-changing those three words were.

“How could this be? The Creator of this entire Universe and beyond was in love with me? The Savior of the world had eyes only for me? The God above all gods, the Lord of lords, the King of kings thought I was absolutely beautiful?”

It was a moment I could only pray that everyone would have. Christianity has never been a religion to me. It’s never been about a set of rules I must follow. It’s always been about the love between two hearts: mine and my Savior’s. I may never be the skinniest woman alive, or the most beautiful woman on earth, but I have the love of a King, and that means more to me than what anything on this Earth says about me in any way.

It all comes down to love. It’s a powerful emotion that I believe this world depends on. It changes lives, and I am a living testimony of that.

“Faith, Hope, and Love…. But the greatest of these is love.” ~ 1 Corinthians 13:13