Jessica - Runnells, Iowa

Regrets

Have you ever done something you wish you could take back? My guess is you probably have. Everyone has made a mistake at some time or other in his or her life, but learning from those mistakes can help you succeed. I believe in learning from my mistakes.

Nobody likes to admit when they have made a mistake. Admitting to making a mistake is a big step. Knowing that you have messed up can help you learn and keep you from doing it again. Many people blame others for their mistakes instead of owning up to them. That is exactly what I did. I made excuses for my actions and blamed others instead of accepting them.

Last year, I chose not to listen to my parents when told to study hard and not slack off. That is the exact opposite of what I did. I had a hard schedule, and there was never a day that I came home without homework. I was taking advanced classes trying to get them out of the way, so I could have fun and take it easy my senior year. The first semester went okay, but my grades weren’t as good as sophomore year. I knew that I would need to put a lot more effort in second semester.

Second semester began slowly. Even though I knew what needed to be done, it never seemed to get done. If I did get done, it was done poorly or at the last minute. Soccer was starting soon, and I knew it would be even harder for me, so I needed to buckle down and get things done. I had barely gotten by the first semester with a low D. I knew this semester was going to be harder with soccer, yet I didn’t seem to care.

I never felt like doing my math homework even if I had time. I hated math; I absolutely hated it. I came to despise math and dreaded it everyday. I knew I was failing, but I came to the point where I didn’t care and thought I could bring it up at the end. When it came to the end of semester it was too late. All of my other grades were pretty good, but there was no hope in math. I received a big, fat “F.” The first one I had ever had, and now it was on my transcript.

The one thing I didn’t know about that “F” was that it makes me ineligible for soccer my senior year. I will have to sit out 20 days, watching the games from the bench instead of being out there on the field. I have learned that you can not wait till the last minute to get things done. When people reach out to help you, you should take the help and not wait till it is too late. This was a valuable lesson and I will now have a fresh start at college. I will always have this as a reminder to learn and do better. I believe in learning from my mistake.