Sarah - USA

Sarah D

I believe that everyone needs to laugh at themselves. Life is funny and I often find ordinary life situations to be hilarious. I don’t know why, I just do. My friends love laughter too. In fact, our stories seem to revolve around some sort of funny experience. And I find that I get along best with people who love to laugh as well.

Laughter is the best medicine. I’m sure that studies and research have been done to show the benefits of laughing. My dad says that laughter has got to be good for the heart. I couldn’t agree more with that statement because I know how happy I feel after a good laugh. And besides, we all know it’s hard to be sad when laughing, it tends to lighten the mood.

Laughter is used and needed more than we know. A life without laughter is hard for me to imagine. What would the hallways of our school be like if there was no laughing? I’ve never been to a Party that wasn’t dominated by laughter. What I recently realized is that laughter binds us together. It’s like a universal language. A shared laugh or smile can break down barriers and build bridges between people. I’ve seen it.

As for my friends and I, laughter creates life long memories. I still die of laughter when thinking about funny times we’ve shared in the past. Some are from years ago and they still seem like they just happened yesterday. I remember when a friend of mine began to imitate a boy. It was late at night and we were in another friend’s bedroom. My friend stood up and continued mimicking the boy’s walk and talk until she became what we now call the ‘Ware Wiener.’ We were laughing when she started her imitation. And we were peeing our pants when she became the ‘Ware Wiener.’ That night went down in history for me and my friends. I know, you had to be there. But that’s the beauty of laughter.

What I find funny in everyday life may not be something that most people normally think is funny. One of the things that I have learned is that laughter is very unique. Half the time I’m laughing, it’s because of somebody else’s laugh. There are different levels and types of laughter. Like the high pitched whinnies, or the snorts and grunts, or even the pee your pants and fall to the floor kind of laughter.

I believe that life is too short to be spent stressed out or worried. Life is funny, and we should take advantage of the fact that happiness is easily spread. Like the famous quote, “He who laughs, lasts.” We all need to be able to laugh at ourselves. This I believe.