Rachel - Irmo, South Carolina
Themes: love

The word love is one that holds many dimensions. Not only does it describe a feeling, but it is the most meaningful action a Christian can show to another person. While the number of Christians in America is shocking compared to other religions, war and violence persist. These acts of hatred consume our televisions and envelope our conversations. As talk of terrorism, kidnapping, and domestic violence flood our society, one act of hate is hushed from our mouths and quieted among social circles.

The act of abortion is so frequently performed, but is so easily forgotten. It is unimaginable to me how so many Americans can fight against mass extermination in Nazi Germany and Rwanda and struggle for peace in other countries all around the world, while there is an unspoken holocaust here in our own country that no one seems to be aware of. Each year, millions of Americans are silenced, and for what, convenience? What right do we have to take a human life, especially a life that is of such purity and innocence?

I believe that every child deserves the right to life and that amid the racism and prejudice in our nation, the life of a child should be protected above all others and the dignity of an unborn human should be upheld. If we do not show love to others, particularly the most defenseless lives, we are not a country of peace, but rather one that murders its own people to achieve selfish ambition.

I believe that to reach a goal, we must break away from what society deems the truth and discover it for ourselves. To achieve anything of worth takes perseverance, dedication, and most importantly, love. I truly think that the value of a sacred human life is worth being persecuted for my beliefs and I will not cease to fight for the silenced until our country unites to stop the execution of our children.