Alexander - Irmo, South Carolina

I was in third grade on vacation to my great aunt’s house in Minnesota and the Mall of America. A realization washed over me that was so different from anything I had ever before considered. Suddenly I knew that time would not stop. Its inevitable progress would never cease. Eventually, sooner or late, some time or another, this vacation would end. I am quite positive I did not realize it at the time, but this was the first instance where I considered that indeed I am limited.

I must question now how it is that as a limited being, I can grasp an infinite concept, time. It is indisputably true that time is unending, and yet I have nothing with which to measure time by but myself. As far as my experience dictates, time has lasted only as long as I have existed. After I die, there can be no more, and before I was there was not. My life is the whole infinity of time. I would necessarily then elevate myself to the status of God to fill the gaping hole left in the absence of any all-encompassing infinite. This is the predicament it seems to me in which you might find most atheists. The concept of God is offensive not because they view it as illogical, but because it does not merely imply, it demands, that there is something beyond the self, something greater than the individual. It is a great affront to ego.

The one thing the atheist must undoubtedly be assured of is himself and his own reality. He alone is a solitary blip of light in the great waste of existence that is the universe. He has validated his existence through his own unlimited potential. What is interesting about this is that the only way that he may truly demonstrate his power is to take his life. I’m afraid that whether or not you believe in God there is still something greater than you, and it is just as concrete as God. That is time. Time is a lion stalking you; it is a wind seeking to snuff out your flickering flame. It will take your life whether you wish it to or whether you do not. How must you demonstrate that you have utter control over your life? Why you must destroy it! You must desecrate all that is precious so that you may truly justify that it is indeed yours to desecrate. That is not something in which I believe.

There are things we as humans cannot explain and never will be able to. Infinity exists whether we can comprehend it or cannot. That we can comprehend this infinity requires that there is infinity beyond our known infinity. Whether you agree or do not, this is what I believe.