Mary - Columbia, South Carolina

Trials…are Good

I believe that life is good. And I believe that it is the trials that one goes through that make life good.

Why? You ask. Before I can answer I must first ask you a question: Can you name a single person who has never suffered in his or her life who is happy and content? Chances are the answer would be no. Because when you stop to think about it, the trials and sufferings of our day to day lives are what make living worthwhile.

When I was seven years old, I got sick and lost my hearing, vision, and coordination. In the one moment that I woke up and realized what had happened the world seemed to end for me. I felt completely lost. I had no clue what I was going to do with my life, or how for that matter I was going to do it. I felt I had reached a dead end.

But as I grew up and adjusted myself to my disabilities, I began to forget that I even had a disability. I realized that my life would not be where it was if I had not lost all those things that forced me to look around at the world through different eyes. And I now realize that I am actually happy that I lost what some people consider necessary for survival because I have the ability to relate to people who have suddenly lost something that they don’t think they can survive without. I can say that they will adapt themselves and learn to see the world in a different way. This makes me happy and gives me a feeling of fulfillment, of having done something for good in this world.

A good friend of mine, Shannon Smith, has had a similar experience. After going through surgery to repair her knee, she developed double blood clots in her lungs. Anyone who has gone through that knows that it is terrible, one of the most painful experiences a person can go through. But because she went through the pain and the hardships of recovery, she knows how to relate to people who have this kind of problem. She is happier because she has suffered.

Yes, life is good but I believe the crucial ingredient to making life good is the trials and tribulations that a person goes through to help them see the world through different eyes and allows them to help others on a deeper level. Suffering can equal happiness if you let it. Someone who allows their sufferings to bring this out in them is guaranteed to have a very satisfied life. This is what I believe.