Greg - Irmo, South Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

Living without Regret: The Fight with One’s Conscience

Every person experiences it every so often. It is the nagging feeling that does not easily flee the mind. It is an unspoken expression, usually of guilt or confusion. I believe in the power to live without regret and to concede the future to merely our prospective actions along with the element of chance.

What drives people to pursue their dreams and aspirations? Failing is not usually equated into such decisions, but even when it is, anything good is worth working hard for. The fear of failing can change a person’s mindset to such a degree that they no longer strive to reach loftier goals and live with an attitude that they have reconciled to accept less than the fullest. It is imperative that people attempt to blaze their own trails, not just walk along the ones already cut and worn at the edges.

The human mind is an amazing thing that innately tells us what we do and do not enjoy. It is easy to get caught up in what other people are doing and be apprehensive about displaying how you truly feel. I am not by any means saying that it is wrong to look up to people for insight, inspiration, or a glimmer of hope in times of tribulation.

Often there are instances in which too much emphasis is put upon a single thing, whatever it may be, however important it may be. Sometimes I say to myself, “Why did I not try harder on that project? I could have gotten two more points,” or “I should have studied more for that test that I just took”. There will always be room for self-improvement as well as change, so the past is neither unchangeable nor finite. The element of chance plays a significant role in what occurs over time in everyone’s lives. Events in the past cannot be changed completely but their repercussions can indeed be felt in the present and the future. This allows for intervention, acting in a way to fix the events in the past. The troublesome epochs in life should not be ignored, but rather used to better forecast what can happen later.

Mind you that I certainly do not believe in having no discretion at all when it comes to making decisions and how they will affect me later. There is a place for accepting ones troubles and changing but I believe there is also a place for being content with hard work, commitment, and not dwelling on lost opportunities. One door may slam in your face but surely many more will open.