Steve - Irmo, South Carolina

Human Assembly Lines

I believe that if you’re not doing what you love, you’re pretending to be someone else. A lot of people in this world try to act like someone else. They follow trends religiously and do things that they don’t want to do just because it’s easier than standing up for what they want. People need to start seeing this for themselves because if we aren’t living our own lives the way we want, what’s the point of living our lives at all?

When I walk through the halls of my high school, I look around myself in shock and awe. I see people trying to look like their friends and dressing how the stores in the mall tell them they should dress. I see people who get made fun of because they don’t fit in. Well these kids who do “fit in,” look like they went through the human assembly line. Just like with any other assembly line, we would have millions of copies that are exactly the same as each other.

When high school students don’t look like all the kids around them, they often get made fun of. This can be very damaging to the student in the long run because if they constantly get made fun of, why would they want to try hard to learn things? They would be trying to fit in more than learn what they should be learning. This is why I think that students need to stop trying to fit in. They need to break the mold and dress and act how they want to act. If something like this would happen, everyone will be happier.

Imagine a world where no one was made fun of for how they dressed or looked. Imagine what it would be like to not have to worry every morning about leaving your house not looking like the “popular” kids. Life would be less stressful and people would, in turn, be happier. This is what life would be like if people didn’t have to worry so much about what others thought. Everyone should just be able to act like how they want to without discrimination crashing down on them.