Amanda - Britt, Iowa

I believe in trying to learn to play guitar. Now, I’m not saying I believe in playing guitar, or even that playing any sort of musical instrument is essential to a happy life. I simply believe in the effort of attempting to learn.

Trying to play the guitar is something that nearly everyone does at least once. If they haven’t then they’ve thought about it. There is just something so appealing about it.

Last summer my dad bought a beginners acoustic guitar online for us, after a lot of coaxing from my two brothers and myself. We all were inexplicably excited on the day that we saw the giant funnily-shaped package sitting in our garage. When we opened it up everyone, including my mom and dad, competed for a chance to strum a made-up chord or two (or at least pretend to be a rockstar and play a fantastic imaginary riff).

That excitment and imagination is why I believe everyone should try to learn to play guitar. At least once. Everyone should go out and buy a book or cd to learn a few chords. Everyone should practice for a week or so and get those little temporary indents into the tips of your fingers. Everyone should be able to dream about one day playing in front of millions of adoring fans or serenading a future love.

The thing about trying to learn to play the guitar is that even if you never learn more than a G chord, you got to experience that initial excitment. That simple rush of feeling all the possibilities that could come from learning to be good at such a, for lack of a better word, cool thing. That is something that everyone should experience at least once, if not many many times in their lives.

So I believe in attempting to learn to play guitar, even if after a few weeks you give up and it sits in a closet to collect dust – most of them do. After all, you’ve heard yourself play. Isn’t that where they belong?