Emily - Frisco, Texas
Themes: love

I believe that a first love is one that you will never forget. I saw my first love at the age of 17 and knew he was special before he knew my name. I would look at him from across the room waiting for his big blue eyes to look back at me. And then one day, they did. My heart fluttered, my chest turned red and from then on every time he looked at me I didn’t want him to look away.

After a few weeks he started talking to me. I could barely talk to him without my nerves taking over and making me sound silly. We were friends for awhile before we started dating. I felt like I could tell him anything, from my deepest secrets to my funniest jokes. He asked me to senior prom, by then we were both 18. While I wore a buttercup yellow dress and he a handkerchief tucked in the pocket of his tuxedo to match, he made me feel like the belle of the ball. He held me close as we danced and I felt like we were the only people in the entire room. His head on my shoulder and mine on his I knew there was room for our relationship to grow. I fell asleep that night with a smile on my face.

The weeks following were crazy with end-of-the-year memories. One in particular I can’t forget. We were coming back from a concert our high school choir sang in at a nearby university and I was sitting with him on the bus. We were both tired from the day so I let him rest his head on my shoulder with my arms wrapped around him tight. He looked up at me with a smile and said three words that a guy had never told me before, “I love you.” My mind flooded with thoughts and my heart beat nervously as I quickly realized he was waiting for a response. I said those words back to him letting my heart be free from everything it was holding on to.

The warm summer came and went by too fast. He was leaving in about two months and I knew it was going to be hard. I told myself two years would go by fast when in reality the more I wanted it to, the longer it seemed to take.

In October we said goodbye with tears in our eyes and gave each other one last kiss. I wrote him a letter at least once a week and he did the same. Through those letters I learned so much about him and our relationship.

Then came the day, almost a year after he left, that I knew I had to tell him something that was very hard for me to say. In our letters we had talked about the one thing that was important to both of us but wasn’t exactly the same, our faith. I concluded that without either one of us making a compromise, our relationship couldn’t stay that way. It’s not just the memories that remain with you, but more importantly remembering the person who you shared those memories with. So that is why my first love is someone I will never forget.