Allison - Lemont, Illinois
Themes: environment

A Little Step……In a Big World

It’s the end of lunch time, and I am collecting the various plastic bottles and the aluminum beverage cans from all of my friends. I squiggle my way over to the small plastic recycling can at the corner of the lunchroom, placing each drink bottle in one by one. It’s an everyday thing, just one little action out of many that I choose to take during the course of the day. Some people may consider this little act a burden, too difficult to endure each day. However, I believe that it is one vital step in conserving our world.

From recycling everything, to walking to most places, buying solar lights, re-filling water bottles, buying “green” cleaners, never using air conditioning, composting, limiting electricity use, buying organic and all natural food, being a vegetarian, and much more than I can list on this page, I dedicate myself to helping our planet survive. I believe that every person can really make a difference, whether it be turning a light off, or traveling by bike. I am asked by many people, including my relatives, about how I find time to do all of my environmentally-conscious acts. I tell them that I don’t need time. I just replace whatever I’m doing with the environmentally-friendly equivalent. I think that if everyone would realize that a “green” lifestyle is not any harder than the one they are living today, then a lot more people will accept the switch. I believe that some people are just too lazy to have the sort of commitment that I do; so instead, they make it harder for the conscientious people who actually are trying to fix things. I think that by the time that these sorts of people actually decide to “go-green”, that the state of the planet will be almost too hard to fix, if not totally destroyed.

I believe that the state of the future is completely in our hands. With other countries, like China, being one of the biggest polluters on our planet, we need to bring the “green” message across the world. I believe that with a focus on “greener” ways to run our own country, we can perhaps fix our problems, and maybe even ones from others.

And besides, doing even one “green” act a day can really make a huge difference. People can slowly adjust to the lifestyle, in order to get used to the new way of doing things.

So, what will it be that you do to help?