Colton - Bismarck, North Dakota

Colton K

Ms. Miller

AP English 11

14 Jan 2008

Throughout my life I have been one of those people that are driven to be the best of everything and will not settle for anything less. Because of this, I think one can imagine the type of personality and ambition that has taken hold of me. Why am I like this? The answer to that question is complicated. It includes parents, family, and personal reasons. One of those personal reasons is my deepest fear. This I believe that my deepest fear is that at the end of my life I will be labeled as inadequate.

My definition of inadequate is numerous and long. I will give you a mixture of these definitions. Inadequate means someone or something failing at the standards that have been set by yourself or someone else. My deepest fear is just a fancy way of saying that I failed at life. It means that I did not leave an imprint on this remarkable Earth. I could not imagine a life that has been for nothing. It is a bigger waste than even gas on our vehicles. The kind of life that continues to plague my parents. The kind of life that scares me to death. The kind of life that will always creep into my conscience mind.

I just mentioned that I think my parents’ life have been inadequate. This subject always gets brought up when our arguments get taken too far. The topic that ends with my mother in tears and me taking the role of the uninformed adolescent. I love my mother and father with all my life and I cannot imagine anyone else that could step in and be those incredible pillars that lift me to the future that was destined for me. They have left an imprint on this Earth. It takes the shape of me and all that I am.

I guess with everything that has been said one might come to the conclusion that I will not make the extremely high standards that my parents and I have set for myself. For those who believe that, I guess that I will just have to prove them wrong. Just like I always do. I am driven by my fear of inadequacy, but that is not all that I am driven by. This I believe that my deepest fear is that at the end of my life I will be labeled as inadequate.