Patrick - Norman, Oklahoma

I believe in our Constitution, and the greatness of Freedom of Religion.

I don’t really have a person or a particular event in my life that really shaped my belief in God. I was as skeptic for pretty much as long as I can remember. Early in my life I was pretty much scared into believing in bible and all of its teachings. I always thought to myself, “Well what if you are wrong and there really is God? I’m going to go to hell because I don’t believe that Jesus was the son of God.” This kind of thinking scared me into fancying myself a Christian until I was about thirteen or fourteen years old.

From then on I pretty much considered myself an atheist and for awhile didn’t much care for any type of organized religion. It just is not how my brain works. I have to be able to test something in order to see if it is real. Some people can take things on blind faith and that’s cool. It is all about being a good person and living this life that you have to the fullest. If religion gives that sense of self worth and purpose for someone to lead a healthy and productive life then I am all for it. My aunt is grounded by her faith; it is what drives her to get up in the morning and gives purpose to her life. This is not the same for me, but that is just fine. It is the great accomplishment of America that this is ok. In other parts of the world it could be forbidden and very dangerous for me to deviate from common thought.

I love it how we are set up where we can have differing views on divisive topics like religion and still function as a country. This is the only way that we as a people will survive, if we can learn to realize that we should welcome dissent and differing opinions. This is one of the reasons I love this country and how my country has shaped my world view. It is my hope that this type of thinking and welcoming of dissenting opinions could spread further across the world.

And I believe that it can.