Chinedu - little falls, New Jersey

Family and Friends

We live in a society that focuses on material things. Ask a kid what’s most important in his or her life, and the reply will most likely be my cell phone, my iPod, my X-Box or Wii. Many kids spend all there time at home engaged with the TV playing video games. Few young people go outside to play games or interact with friends. This should change. More time should be spent with family and friends. People are more important than things!

Technological gadgets are fun, but they do not care about you. They may provide entertainment, but if you need support, a kind word, or a hug, they cannot help. Family and friends are unique, unlike worldly possessions they can both love and support you. Remember, it was because your parents cared about you, that they bought that iPod or Wii .

Spending time with your family can be fun. Sharing a movie, or talking at dinner, or planning an event, can make you know that you are an important part of this group. Learning to speak respectfully and kindly to parents, brothers, sisters, and friends can be a skill you will use all your life. Reaching out to help a family member or friend can make you feel good about yourself.

Don’t throw away your X Box or your computer, or your iPod. Just pay attention to how much time you spend with these material possessions, and spend at least equal