Anthony - little falls, New Jersey

NFL Star

Everyone has the right to pursue his or her dream. Some dreams are perceived as being impossible. When you say you want to be an accountant, people have faith that you can do it. When you say you want to make the NFL or NBA, people say that dream is silly and won’t happen. Making the NFL is no doubt a difficult task, but if you really want to be in it, why not go for it?

When I was young it was always my dream to play in the NFL. On Saturdays and Sundays I would watch all the football games on TV. My dad always wanted me to be a football player, so he taught me when I was young. I was only five when I started playing for the Jr. Hornets. The first year I played football it was called flag football. I hated that! I longed to play in pads and tackle people. Then when I was seven I joined the D squad. This was the year I started to wear pads. D squad was a fun year. I was learning more and more football. Finally, I made the A squad. This team was very intense. A squad is a whole different ball game then B squad. I realized that if I really want to be in the NFL and it is time to start lifting and getting bigger for high school.

Now I am really dreaming about being in the NFL, but people are starting to lose confidence in my ability to achieve my dream. My parents tell me to focus on my education and don’t worry about the NFL. My friends think I am a good football player, but when I mention the NFL, their response is, “Yeah, right!” I am, however, determined to continue my football career in high school, in college, and eventually in the NFL. Adrian Peterson, running back for the Minnesota Vikings, surely encountered the same skepticism that I am encountering when he was my age. Maurice Jones-Drew was probably told he was not large enough for pro football.

Why is it impossible for me to be an NFL star? Is it because I am small or is it how I play? It does not matter what anyone else thinks, I want to be a running back, and I am determined to achieve my goal.

For me to succeed I have to practice, lift weights, and eat healthy. Also I have to go to a good college so it is easier for me to get into the NFL. Even if I don’t make the NFL I’ll still have a great education, and I can feel good about having given my best effort for something that is so important to me. My football career is waiting for me and I have to be determined. So when you turn on your TV for the SuperBowl in 2018, look for me!