Alisha - little falls, New Jersey

I Believe

Some people are like chameleons, they would change face or form to be accepted by whatever groups they want to be in. Doing that can work for a while, but in the long run, the costs are high. You can lose your identity, which, in my mind is far more valuable than being popular. So, if you think that others’ opinions matter more than your own, I believe you are wrong!

I happen to know some people who change their “colors” easily. One of those people was a close friend of mine from HO-HO-KUS. She loved to wear comfortable clothing, and she loved to play all kind of sports, it didn’t matter, if it was a sport she could play it. Till one day she came to school with a pink preppy cloths on, her hair was done, and she had gotten a manicure. She even started to act like the group of people that she wanted to be in. When she achieved her goal, and was accepted into the “popular” group, my friend discovered it was not such a great place to be. There was a high level of competition, and not much loyalty. After a while, she went back to being herself, figuring out that it’s better to be the person you are, and not try to be someone else.

Another person that I know, a friend, wanted to become a jock. He wanted to be in that group so much that he forgot who his real friends were. He was a nice person, who didn’t care about what other people thought. That is until, he figured out that the “jocks” really got a lot of attention from most of the girls. So, he wanted to be just like them. Because of this, he joined the football team, since they were all on it. The funny thing is that he didn’t even like football. He also changed his whole wardrobe. He finally got in the group and forgot about his “old” friends. This friend’s change was permanent. He “lost” himself in order to be popular.

I believe that every person is unique. Everyone has special qualities that are his or her alone. I do not think that anyone should cover up or throw away their special personality in order to be like someone else, or to be accepted by any group. If you are true to yourself, true friends will find you, and you will be in the group that is best for you. This is what I believe!