Mariah - Little Falls, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in Living Every Day As If It Were Your Last

Life is unpredictable, and the sad truth is that it can end at any moment. Two years ago on May 24, 2006 my mother and I were on our drive home at about nine at night. I didn’t put my seat belt on yet, and that’s when it happened. A car going 90mph hit us with full impact from behind making my car flip seven times in the air. I was in a daze and completely blacked out only feeling the harsh glass and rubber crash against my face and body while I was thrown in every direction since my attempt to put my seat belt on was interrupted. When we finally landed, I woke up in utter shock in the trunk of the car. I was pulled from the trunk, by bystanders, who had witnessed the accident from the side of the road, and was placed on the ground with a throbbing head, stinging nose, and more cuts, scrapes and bruises than I could count. All of the physical pain that I was encountering was nothing compared to the emotional pain and fear I felt when I found out that my mother was pinned in the car.

In about twenty minutes, emergency workers were able to help free my Mom, and we were taken by ambulance to the hospital, which seemed just too far away. Arriving there we had to undergo a series of tests: cat scans, x-rays, and blood tests. Much to my relief, my mother was fine! She had no broken bones, no cuts, and only a few bruises, which was a miracle. I had a broken nose and my face was swollen with one eye closed.

At four in the morning we were finally able to go home. After the accident, I have learned to love and appreciate each day that has passed since then. I am fully aware that my life, or my Mom’s might have ended on that day in May. I realize that every day is a gift and should be used to its fullest. This is what I believe.