Nicole Wellema - Little Falls, New Jersey
Themes: carpe diem

I Believe

I believe that you should live your life to the fullest because you never know when it will end. Some people tend to hold off what they want to do until they get older. Some say that they will go on vacation later in life. But unfortunately for many people that ‘later in life’ never comes.

When you are older you may find yourself wanting to go on vacation. But, you hold it off until next year or until you run into a little bit of money. But, what if there is not a next year for you on this earth? Or what if illness or accident leaves you unable to travel? Perhaps your finances will get worse, rather than better.

When I was in my old school two years ago, tragedy struck my town. There was a boy who was captain of the football team. Everyone loved him. He was an excellent quarterback, and had received a four-year scholarship to one of the best colleges in the country. On a cold afternoon in March, He was on his way to his friend’s house for a party. The roads were covered with slick black ice. He was driving fast, as many teenagers do. He was going around a turn in the flats, and encountered a patch of ice on the only turn on that road. He lost control and hit into the concrete wall the runs alongside the parking lot of Havern Hills. This young man, only eighteen years old, was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident. This event made a huge impact on me. I not only grieved the loss of a friend but also began to realize that life is both precious and fragile.

When I get the opportunity to try something new, to travel, to meet new people, I do not let this opportunity pass by. I appreciate my family and friends, and do my best to make time for them. As I get older, I will continue to live each day to the fullest, believing that every day is a gift.