Alexa - Altoona, Iowa

Lexi A

Period 3

Ms. Pins

1/25/2008

I Believe in Second Chances

I believe in second chances. Through the years, positive changes have come out of people who had done horrible things. There are also people who will never change, no matter how many chances they are given. Second chances are something that are given out to those who need them by people who haven’t yet given up on them. Those who receive them are some of the luckiest people in the world.

It seems things could always be better the second time around. If I had a chance to go back and fix my mistakes, I would take it in a heartbeat. To start over with someone who once meant the world to me, but our relationship had dwindled down to nothing over time is the best feeling in the world. Sometimes learning the hard way is the only way to realize what you did wrong. Some people want the chance to fix their mistakes, and they do. Others don’t care, or they simply can’t change and they will continue to make bad decisions for the rest of their lives.

An example of a second chance I once needed was with my parents last winter. I was getting in to a horrible amount of trouble, and I had completely lost their trust. I had broken every promise, lied, and gone against their word so many times they could hardly take it. It then that I would never have a good relationship with them ever again. The fighting went on for months. I would get grounded and when I would finally get ungrounded, it wouldn’t last a week before I would get caught again. I don’t quite remember when it happened, but some time after losing my job, my grades dropping dramatically, and my parents almost sending me to a private school, I turned things around and got a second chance. I decided after one night telling my mom I didn’t want her in my wedding that this wasn’t how I wanted my life to be. I remembered the goals and dreams I had of going to college and growing up. Getting married and calling my parents over for dinner and having them babysit my kids. I needed my family in my life, and I decided it was time to apologize and ask for a second chance. I started hanging out with better people, got a new job (that paid better), and my parents and I began a brand new relationship. It took a while for me to prove how I had changed. I was always where I said I was going, I came home before curfew, and some nights I wouldn’t go out at all. Their trust in me built up over time and now we are closer than ever. Things are so different now than they would have been if my parents wouldn’t have cared so much and given me a chance to turn things around and make a better life for myself.

My parents taught me that people can change for the better if given the opportunity. After dating my boyfriend for eight months the relationship started to fall apart. He begged me to take him back and he promised that things would be better and he would change. I was very hesitant about this, because I didn’t want to be hurt anymore, but I remembered what my parents had done for me last year, and I realized that I needed to give him another chance. We’ve been back together for about a month now, and I’m so glad. I couldn’t be happier with my life right now all because of second chances that people have given me and that I have given out to others.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to forgive people and let them back in to my life. It’s different if they’re asking for fourth, fifth, and sixth chances, because then they have worn out their welcome and I finally decide it is time to move on and except they will never change. Everyone makes mistakes sometimes, and everyone deserves the opportunity to re-do things and make them right the second time. It might change their life and they might change yours.